Monday, March 06, 2006

Loose shoulder

Today I am discovering what it would be like to have only one arm. Yesterday Anthony's parents came to visit. They arrived in tiem for church and we were planning to take them to the Jamaican restaurant in town. When we got to the restaurant, we realized that they were closed on Sundays. We decided to settle for Perkins instead. I could imagine that Mom was a bit relieved...seems like she's had some bad experiences with Jamaican food in the past! Well, after a great meal, with great conversation, we were on our way home from lunch. I had just spotted a friend from church who was turning around in the parking lot. Anthony and I had to get some gas for our car, so I moved to tell Dad how to get back to our house from Perkins. I stuck my arms out the window and began to point where the road was, making long swinging motions, back and forth with my arm extended. Suddenly, and it's almost as if I felt it coming, my shoulder slipped out of the socket and dislocated. I was screaming in pain, much to the confusion of everyone around me, including Anthony, his parents, and his 5-year-old neice who was riding with us in the back seat of our Jeep. I was trying to tell Anthony that my shoulder slipped out between my screams. I knew that in that past (this is a recurring injury), if I hung my arm down at the side, it would slip back into the socket. Anthony ran over looking very confused, but trying to figure out how to help me as I said "Don't touch me! Don't touch me!" I finally got my shoulder to slip back into place, and I felt an overwhelming need to throw up. I was so hot that I was sweating...I can't even explain the pain I was in. Anthony dropped me off at home and went out to buy me a sling and a hot-cold pad. I was fine in about an hour, but little things like washing my hair, putting on my knee-high boots and typing on a computer are much more complicated that they used to be. Actually typing and blow-drying my hair have been surprisingly easy despite my gimp! I would attach a picture of me in my sling, but, er, I don't have one. I am so blessed to have such a loving husband who takes care of me! He's so sweet.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Wow, Lori, you were in a lot more pain than I realized. You must have put on a very good front - or I was just tremendously insensitive. I hope your shoulder is healing and you won't need to be handicapped for too long.